Strategic Advisor to the President / CEO
Strategic Advisor to the President / CEO
(Reporting to the President / CEO)
Full-Time, Permanent effective January 2021
Classification Salary Level IV - $88,719 - $116,963 (January 1, 2021)
This position will provide executive-level support to the President / CEO and organizational assistance to the union; strategic planning and analysis, policy advice and political counsel; establish, maintain and foster effective relationships with various stakeholders; play a lead role in outreach and advocacy efforts, and participate in multi-disciplinary teams assigned to special projects.
Specific responsibilities may include:
Working with minimal supervision and substantial latitude, and reporting directly to the President/CEO, the incumbent performs the following duties:
1. Executive Level Support to President/CEO and Governance Bodies
- Provides executive-level support to the President/CEO by synthesizing complex issues and clearly and credibly providing or arranging for executive-level briefings, taking meeting notes, organizing material and as required, disseminating material to other AMAPCEO staff;
- Monitors President/CEO’s task list ensuring required follow-up actions from meetings occur, that deadlines are met, and that commitments are honoured. Works in unison with the Executive Administrative Assistant to the President/CEO to be certain that weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual activities of the Office of the President/CEO and the greater Union are scheduled/planned for as required;
- Provides policy and program support to the Executive Committee, Board of Directors and Delegates Conference, including working with staff to develop and maintain Board policies, By-laws and the Constitution;
- Assists the Vice-President with the underfill of any presidential duties; mentors the Board Chair and Vice Chair in good governance as required, and in conjunction with the EAA ensures that new Board Directors receive necessary orientation;
- Liaises across operational units to drive ongoing initiatives of enterprise significance and supports labour relations processes as assigned (e.g. – ACERC, bargaining, etc.).
2. Analysis and Counsel
- Provides strategic policy analysis and political counsel; communicates complex issues clearly and concisely, provides input, feedback, options and recommendations on a variety of subject matters;
- Receives and summarizes reports and labour relations disclosures, prepares briefing materials; alerting the President/CEO, and the senior management team to issues arising therefrom;
- Provides expert advice, and strategic policy analysis to the Delegates Conference, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and Committees and Working Groups of the Union;
- Provides strategic policy analysis and political counsel into the Union’s ongoing Strategic Planning process and priorities.
3. Stakeholder Relations
- Establishes, maintains and fosters effective relationships with variable stakeholders (Board Directors, activists, fellow unions, allies, and employer representatives); Communicates the President’s commitments, plans and strategies to, and receives feedback from stakeholders;
- Coordinates government relations and represents the President and Union as directed; Acts as a conduit between the Union and stakeholders in relation to sponsorships, partnerships and campaigns; plays a lead role in multi-party efforts such as the Professional Unions Network.
- Plays a lead role in the Union’s ongoing advocacy campaigns, in conjunction with applicable Units, Directors and Team Leads; liaises with applicable work units in the union’s workplace organizing drives, ensuring the President/CEO is regularly briefed and that staff have the most current political direction;
- Accompanies the President/CEO to or represents the President/CEO at stakeholder functions; drafts, collaborates on, or reviews external communications messaging, materials or campaign plans at the direction of the President/CEO.
5. Other Duties
- Participates in multi-disciplinary teams and special projects as assigned by the President/CEO; Perform other duties as assigned that are consistent with the job specification.
Candidates should possess:
- Direct experience providing executive-level support in a public sector, political or labour relations environment; An extensive network of union, political, public service and/or government contacts an asset;
- Highly developed organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize well, to manage a varied workload efficiently, to work independently and flexibly to meet deadlines in a busy environment;
- Good knowledge of, or demonstrated capacity to learn, labour relations and collective bargaining;
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical and research skills; Excellent verbal and written presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills and ability to work cooperatively with elected officials, committees, members at large and other staff;
- Political acuity, sound judgment, tact and discretion essential; Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information;
- Ability to build support for ideas and initiatives; Ability to adapt content, style, tone and medium to suit target audience;
- Ability to prepare accurate, timely and comprehensive reports, correspondence and briefing notes;
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License
Work Location: AMAPCEO Office, 1 Dundas Street West, Suite 2310, Toronto, ON
Travel Requirements: Occasional travel required and occasional requirement to work outside normal working hours.
All interested applicants should submit a résumé with covering letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 22, 2021, before 4 pm, to the attention of Farrah Charania, Senior Manager: Human Resources, Information Technology and Administrative Services. A copy of the job description is available upon request.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please provide your contact information to the Senior Manager: Human Resources, Information Technology and Administrative Services. AMAPCEO is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.