The Board of Directors’ Equity Committee first identified the need for an Equity Lens for AMAPCEO in 2016-17. The tool was then developed through the collaboration of the Board, Equity Committee, and creation of a member-driven Equity Lens Working Group.
The release of AMAPCEO’s Equity Lens further advances our overarching commitment to ensuring full and equitable participation of our members.
The Equity Lens is designed to be a practical tool to support our efforts to be consistent and deliberate in moving equity and inclusion forward in our member engagement and services, through our volunteers and staff, to the benefit of our union and workplaces.
Our Board is determined to ensure that AMAPCEO remains a member-driven, accessible, and inclusive organization—not because it is required—but because we know that we are stronger when all our members are included.
The Equity Lens will breathe life into AMAPCEO’s Equity Statement in that we will:
- be more aware of diversity,
- incorporate a multiplicity of perspectives that will strengthen the capacity of our member teams and their work,
- contribute to a positive and respectful work environment, and
- aid in identifying and addressing the systemic barriers that our members face.
We urge you to make the Lens a part of your AMAPCEO work. In doing so, we will demonstrate that AMAPCEO is for all our members as we plan for, support, and protect our diverse membership.
- Cynthia Watt, Vice-President & Chair, Equity Committee
- Rob Smalley, Chief Operating Officer & Director, Labour Relations Services